Prior to the establishment of Holy Trinity, the nearest parishes to Stonington were in Taylorville and Macon. In 1873, construction began on a church, but for various reasons the work was halted and Mass continue to be celebrated in private homes. In 1878, a new site was selected and on May 21, 1880 the first Holy Trinity Church was dedicated. The church was destroyed by a wind storm in 1889. The current church was dedicated on July 8, 1891.